latest Post

IN THE SPOTLIGHT AROUND THE WORLD - YUSUF TEMILOLA NURUDEEN

Tell us about yourself?
I am Yusuf TemilolaNURUDEEN, preferred to be called OPTIMIST. A Lawyer, Mediator,
the Founder and Curator of The PACEMAKERS, Action for Youth, Africa. A Human Rights Activist, a Social Justice Enthusiast. I am self-confident young man, an unrelenting goal getter, a demonstrated team player with excellent interpersonal skills. My super power is my organizational skills paired with my analytical background in law, proven track records in civic engagements and 8-years cognitive experience in volunteering for civil societies. Driven by my commitment to social justice, I hope to witness a completely liberated and equal society.

Where did you see yourself in the next five years?
 My career goal is to advocate for human rights issues that will have direct positive impacts on social problems and political concerns in Nigeria and Africa at large because I realized that the most important thing in life is how my career moves and touches people around me and how it carries forward to the next generation.

In the next five (5) years, I want to be seen as successful lawyer who have rescued many from the chains of poverty and human rights abuses.  I want to be seen raising many conscious citizens who have the skillsets to hold the government accountable. Doing this, I want to strengthen the instructional capacity of my NGO to continue its activities among the target population and maximize impacts by providing result-oriented projects further contribute my quota to social re-engineering of Nigeria by raising at least 5,000 active citizens from our campuses through the incubation and cross-fertilization of ideas required to transform the larger society.

What is your greatest strength and weakness?
 I am inquisitive-a hunter for knowledge, diligence, resilience, exceptionally responsible and reliable. My weakness, I trust people easily and I have suffered serial betrayals. Unfortunately, I am shy too.

What is your greatest achievement?
My most significant achievement was that I successfully championed the reversal from
N348, 750 (about $1000) to N25, 000 ($70) when I was the President of the most vibrant students’ movement in sub-sahara Africa- Lagos State University Students’ Union in 2014. We launched #SaveLASU movement and embarked on non-violent demonstrations. This
was an incredible feat after 3 years of the fee regime that have shattered many dreams and dampen young peoples’ hope of access to education as students were dropping out in droves. In addition, we got refunds of over N800 Million (Eight Hundred Million Naira).
LASU now admits more than 5,000 students as against 1020 in the previous years. My activities got me a number of honors. I was recognised as Most Achieving Young Advocate by World Changers International, ICON of Struggles by the Union, and The Most Outstanding Union Leader of the Decade by the university.

Who is your mentor?
In the legal profession; Mr. Dele FAROTIMI, on socio-entrepreneurship; Jonah Ayodele OBAJEUN and in politics, Mr. Babatunde Raji FASHOLA, SAN.

What did you want people to know about you, your organization and what you are presently working on?
The PACEMAKERS, Action for Youth Africa is a youth and students (between the ages of 16 and 35) advocacy platform is determined to establish pragmatic strategies to approach the tormentors of the young people. We set out to break the cycle of ineffective youth advocacy and raise torchbearers for the sustainable development of Africa.
We are involved in:
 Peacebuilding- #WagePeace, to raise the level the of awareness and training to transform youth mental make-up to bring about mental revolution towards redirecting our thoughts and strengths to forge a common ground for mutual co-existence irrespective of their social and cultural orientation.
2. Advocacy- #Speak4Youth: call on leaders and people everywhere to join us in listening to youth and educate them on their corresponding societal responsibilities to increase the level of social welfare and overall development of Africa.
3. Climate Action-#ActGreen: because all our actions are carried out on the planet, we take action to protect the planet and people. We are campaign for a low-carbon future. 
4. Empowerment, #EnableTheYouth through education on Entrepreneurship and Leadership. We are breeding young with the right skills-set that will make them win seed funding for successful pitches of their business plan. On leadership, we are nurturing a new generation of leaders that move beyond “business as usual” and equip youths with the requisite knowledge to succeed in the 21st century statecraft.

What is change to you and how do you hope to effect change in your community?
Change is when the status quo is abandoned. Relating it to the case of Africa, we will glad to have changed when the endemic corruption is reduced to be barest minimum, transparency and accountability in government, economic transformation to mention a few.

How are you when you are under pressure to achieve a goal? 
I maintain my tempo, take charge of the situation and put in my best without the fear of failure.

A word of encouragement for your audience?
Hunt for knowledge always, at the end, it will pay off.


Your contacts?
Tel:      +234-808-102-3327 +234-706-228-7796
Social Media:
LinkedIn:       NURUDEEN Temilola Yusuf Optimist  
Facebook:      Optimist-Nurudeen Temilola Yusuf
Twitter:          @nyt_optimist
Instagram:    @iamoptimist 

About elints

elints
Recommended Posts × +

0 comments:

Post a Comment